History

History

The Nursery School was originally built in 1936. Many of our families have been here for generations and there is a strong sense of community that goes as far as the Wells Road and beyond.

In the late 1980s/early 1990s, the Nursery School made strong links with New Fosseway Special School and became an inclusive provision for 3-4 year olds and for 3-7 year olds with severe and complex needs. In 2002 the old nursery building was pulled down and the school moved to where it is now. New Fosseway Junior School was built on the site of the old nursery (current Children’s Centre building).

In 2010 New Fosseway Junior School rejoined New Fosseway main school and Footprints Children’s Centre (originally based at The Park) closed and moved across to the site, becoming the first Specialist Children’s Centre in Bristol. This was significant in that it meant that younger children could attend (under 3) and the Family Services’ Team could provide additional support for the whole family. Also at this time, the Child Development Assessment Team (Health Services) moved from Tyndall’s Park in Redland to Ilminster so that they could offer a more localised service to families with children with additional learning needs (0-19 years, now widened to 0-25 year olds). Education and Health working in partnership has proved a great success and has had a positive impact on children’s health, education and well-being, and that of their families.